GCSE in Business Studies and Economics
You will find out how to think like an economist and learn how the economy functions, the government’s role in the economy and its impact on business. You will also examine what causes businesses to fail and how businesses grow. You will study many issues within the world of business such as inequality.
Unit 2 - Controlled Assessment
This document gives you the tasks for this year, read through them carefully before deciding on which task to complete for your chosen business.
Use the PowerPoint file below to help you organise your work.
The PowerPoint below gives you the marking criteria for the work. Your work MUST fit the description given to get the marks in the level shown. Get someone to read a practice attempt and see what level they think it deserves.
Don't forget to complete your research log, by hand, at the end of each session.
Controlled Assessment Key Points
1. Research. You MUST have research that shows SELECTIVITY. Explain how each source of research is relevant to the investigation.
I looked at this website to find out....... It was relevant to my research because......
I found information on...... in this textbook called....... It has information I needed on...... and in suitable because.......
2. Presentation of data and information. This MUST be clear; headings, sub-headings, paragraphs. Good use of appendices. Graphs labelled and have headings. No 'over the top' chart choices e.g. doughnut pie charts! CHECK YOUR SPELLING!
3. Analysis. Explain what you have found out and why it is relevant to the business you are investigating. How does it help you to answer the task set. Clearly link your explanations here with any research, graphs, tables, interviews, questionnaires. You MUST refer clearly to any information in an appendix.
4. Evaluation. Do you answer the question set? Make it obvious in this section. Make judgements about your findings. Say why you don't think some of the points made will be effective. Say if you don't agree with something. It is good to say which you think are more influential than others and why.
Overall I think that ......... will be more effective than......... in helping the business to ......... I think this because......... and this is supported in the research I found from...........
Remember, if it looks rubbish, and it reads rubbish, the chances are the mark will be rubbish too.
Here are four example controlled assessments, some are better than others so look at the marks and the comments made.
1. This first assessment investigates repeat purchases. It is an excellent example that you could learn a lot from for any task you are attempting.
2. The second example investigates a commodity - cotton. This is a poor example but shows how NOT to tackle the task. Look at the feedback on the marks for the reasons why.
3. The third example investigated the 4 P's of marketing. This is another very good example, especially the use of appendices.
4. The fourth example investigated the skills of an entrepreneur. It is not a great example as this person prints off a lot of stuff and does not really answer the question so loses marks for presentation and evaluation. .
5. The fifth example looks at how a business can make a profit. It is a good example to compare your work against.
6. This work looks at customer needs.
“One of the Great Rules of Economics, if you are rich, you have to be an idiot not to stay rich. And if you are poor, you have to be really smart to get rich.”
― John Green